Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Internet Explorer Tweaks and Tools

As mentioned below, when discussing Internet Zone settings in IE, I find it frustrating that there are no intermediate ones between untrusted Internet and Trusted Sites. In the past I had looked into this briefly without luck, but a google search now shows some remarks suggesting this is possible.

There are several interesting posts at IEBlog - the Microsoft Internet Explorer Weblog, a blog by members of the Microsoft IE team. An article IE Security Zones posted there by Mike Friedman is the most helpful I have found. He describes the zones, and posts a utility that uses the URL Security Zones API to programmtically assign urls to zones without going through the IE>Tools>Security tabbed interface. I will report after I try it. He also links to a number of good reference articles.

His post generated some rather nasty cross postings attacking Microsoft, and I respect their forbearance in tolerating that stuff. As to the validity of the content of the arguments about security holes I am uncertain. The Secunia site linked to says (as of 2005-02-10) regarding:

Internet Explorer Security Zone Bypass and Address Bar Spoofing -
The vulnerability has been fixed silently in some cumulative security update.

3 Comments:

Blogger Allan Wolff said...

Hey Guy,

I wondered whether just exporting one of those keys and then importing under another key would work. There are few GUIDs I wasn't sure about. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Was the utility in the page I link the same one you mentioned. I have not tried it yet.

Hope there was something useful for you last night. Did you see the NET LOCALGROUP commands?

Allan

5:18 PM  
Blogger Allan Wolff said...

Hey again, Guy. Thanks for the links. I had looked at the addons for IE6 but never looked at that list for IE5 - Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5. I particularly like several of the functions in the Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5 . I have installed a javascript version of 'Show Frame in New Window' on a number of machines, but never saw this one. As to the add site to Zone utility, it is really a big improvement over going through the standard dialog, because it will actually remove an item from the current zone if needed!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Allan Wolff said...

Googling led me to the following site by Ramesh Srinivasan which has lots of good tips on WinXP and IE Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site
And tips for IE are at:
Internet Explorer - Tips
Internet Explorer - Notes

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home